Five Hundred Miles...

A Rogue Wanderer Traveling The River of Life.. Travel, Motorcycles, and Growing Old Against My Will

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

POTPURRI

POTPURRI, or the mental meanderings of the old and feeble.

Okay, I've been falling behind on this whole thing and it's time to get up to speed before the end of the season. I've had plans to getting off to the Adirondacks, the New Jersey Pine Barrens, Pennsylvania Dutch Country and a few other spots over the past month, but weather and other minor scheduling details (Read: gotta make a living here) interfered. Hopefully, I'll get those rides done in the next few weeks....

Changes.....I've not been completely happy with the formatting problems in integrating photos and text in this cyberstory world of ours, so from here on out, the photos for my stories will be stored and displayed on smugmug. it's the best I've found, and yes, it costs $$$, but you get what you pay for. If any readers decide to go for it, using my referral number will get you a five buck discount. Oh, that's 3szLs70AV5bYs.

More News. if you want to subscribe, just click on the link over there on the right, and if I can manage to keep these postings a little closer together, you'll get them automatically, through the wonders of cyber space.

In The Meantime, I've been surfing, and found some sites that wouldn't fit into any given story, but I thought I would pass around.

For those of you too young to rememer it, Bruce Brown's definitive tribute to motorcycling "On Any Sunday" shot in 16mm FILM (remember that, folks??) it shows a time long gone, never to be repeated, when Mc Queen defined cool (okay, even if he didn't make the jump), a hot bike was a Bonneville 650, when the world--and motorcycling--was a much simpler place.

If you get the DVD, watch the last ten minutes when Mr. Cool and his buds are bouncing around the california deserts just having fun!!!. Kind of hard to remember when motorcycling was just that and little more. Here's some artwork that can refresh your memory.

Hmmmmmmmmm I think I'm going to do some redecorating over the winter.

And while we're on a "Back-in-the-day" kick, Try this great Indian site
bringing modern technology to this venerable old ride. He does some great stuff.

From the other side of the pond, I've come across a brit doing the same thing with Vincents that will make you drool. Just another thing on the long list of things I can't afford, but you never know..

In that same vein, seems no one can go anyplace anymore without a guidebook, telling them where to go, where to eat, when to sleep, when and where to do anything and everything without really having to do much thinking. and motorcyclists are no different. Whatever happened to throwing your leg over the saddle, kicking it over and heading off to whatever was out there? I don't know, but in the interests of spreading the word, The Ride Atlas of North America looks like it just wean me off my bundle of well worn folding maps. (Remember those? God, I'm getting old!!!)

In that same exploratory mood, the itnernet turned up two sites really trip my trigger, with some laughs and great motorcycling adventures. Riding Sun from Japan is a hoot, mixing humor, polictics and motorcycling and scads of other MC links and blogsites

Tales from around the globe at can be found here will give you some great reading and dreaming of the ride you would love to take, and may even motivate you to get out there...

See ya next week with the Hudson Highlands..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home